Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The power of pretty in the United States.

I have become aware in thinking about my appearance as I make the transition to female that there is a considerable weight given by a certain fraction of the population in the United States to physical beauty, such that, it seems, agreements among physically beautiful people can take on an importance of the highest magnitude. As a female I can see the point, though as a male I couldn't really. I find the desire to look good a strong effect as a female, one that works at all times. I'm not sure if this is or isn't a result of being a biological male having lived until now as a behavioral male. I wonder in this whether my being blacklisted is related to this issue. They don't want people advancing into powerful positions of any sort who don't at least acknowledge beauty as a social merit, all other things being equal. That's my guess. I am more concerned about my perspective now as a female with some degree of such an acknowledgement as this, and everything is on a different timeline.