Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Why I support Barack Obama for reelection as President.

I support Barack Obama for reelection as President of the United States because of two major accomplishments during his time in office thus far.

One is passage of the Affordable Care Healthcare Bill. I consider this an accomplishment regardless of the merits of the bill. It was a controversial bill. Passage required an enormous political endeavor reaching to all parts of the country and its government and institutions. I am not an expert in general healthcare and I don't presume to be able to argue competently the merits of the bill one way or another. The fact that it seems a reasonable measure, in times where there are people advocating extreme measures in large quantity, is merit enough for me. What convinces me that this is an accomplishment is that it qualifies the President as a man able to get controversial measures passed in Congress, and now approved by the Supreme Court. I don't think this would have been a quality many would have guessed he had in him leading up to his election.

The other accomplishment is the killing of Osama bin Laden. Operations of all kinds, including Special Operations such as this one, depend very greatly on cool heads and sound reasoning from those in command. Without taking away from the obviously superlatve work by the team that carried out the mission, one cannot say that this President lacks military acumen, and that is proven here at the ultimate level of President. The challenging opponent cannot say that.

As for the performance of the economy there is nothing anyone can do to guarantee over a small time interval such as four years that it will do well. The President has done much, as much as any person without a Ph.D. in economics can do, and has relied as he should on counsel. My own view is colored by ecological factors accounting for the crash of 2008, so there is not much I can inject effectively into political debate. The challenger is no better that the President in having to rely on advisors here.

For these reasons I support the President in his bid for reelection. It gives me no pause, having said that, that I wish for the best man to win.