Friday, August 28, 2009

Life poor

Resource distribution is the central conundrum of economics. It has one character amidst wealth and a different one amidst poverty.

I live a poor man among the mentally ill, who are unable to beat stigma and therefore can at best command a living on social security. I have observed life among these people and found it rampant with larceny and indolence. These fester because they are not improved over time by life experience. Furthermore, they tend to cloister themselves out of reach of policing, with the result that injustice becomes normal, and this lowers expectations all around.

I more or less expected this when I decided to become poor when I was a freshman at Yale.

The only hope for the poor is in nobles who see how thoroughly immoral wealthy people are and decide to become poor instead.